By Chd City Hospital, Multi Speciality
Sport injuries are generally sustained when an athlete competes, practices or exercises. A number of factors such as poor training techniques, accidents, improper equipment or overuse of a particular body muscle can cause a sports injury; most of these injuries are acute in nature. Acute Knee Injuries occur due to a sudden trauma or a twisting action and the pain can range from mild to extremely severe. The severity of the pain depends on how the injury had been sustained in the very first place. Listed below are some common injuries that are associated with the knee:
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear (Partial or complete): One of the most common knee injuries is an anterior cruciate ligament sprain or tear. Athletes who participate in high demand sports like soccer, football, and basketball are more likely to injure their anterior cruciate ligaments. If you have injured your anterior cruciate ligament, you may require surgery to regain full function of your knee. This will depend on several factors, such as the severity of your injury and your activity level.
- Medial Meniscus Tear: Also referred to as a torn meniscus, this is a tear in the semi-circular cartilage that is present in the knee joint and is responsible for shock absorption.
- Medial Ligament Sprain: An MCL (Medial Collateral Injury) injury is a ligament tear in the internal parts of the knee. Common symptoms include swelling and pain inside the knee, usually on the joint line.
- Lateral Ligament Sprain: An LCL (Lateral Collateral Ligament) injury is a ligament tear sustained on the external parts of the knee and it is usually caused due to the sudden twisting action of the knee or a direct blow to the knee.
- Patella Dislocation: This is the dislocation of the kneecap from its normal position which results in swelling. A partial dislocation is also a possibility and in that case, it is called a subluxation.
- Knee Contusion: Commonly called bruising, it is caused because of a direct impact on the knee, usually by falling.
- Osteoarthritis: This is characterized by a breakdown of the cartilage and tissues between the bones.