By Pooja Kadhi, Gynaecology
Constant, repeated problems during sexual activity, orgasm, desire or pain that is enough to send you or your partner in agony is termed as female sexual dysfunction.
Female sexual dysfunction can happen at any stage of a woman’s life and can be lifelong or usually acquired later in life. Also, it can be due to some situations or all sexual situations.
Women with sexual dysfunction might show the following symptoms:
- Decreased sexual desire: A lack of interest and willingness to engage in sexual activity is the most common symptom of female sexual dysfunction.
- Sexual arousal disorder: The desire for involving in sexual activity might be present but it is difficult to become aroused or unable to maintain the arousal during the act.
- Orgasmic disorder: One experiences repeated and constant difficulty in attaining orgasm despite orgasm and stimulation.
- Sexual pain disorder: Pain is experienced on vaginal contact or stimulation
Following can contribute to dysfunction:
- Medical conditions like kidney failure, heart diseases, cancer, and multiple sclerosis can lead to dysfunction. Some medicines like the antihistamines, antidepressants and blood pressure medicines can lead to a lowered sexual desire and an inability to experience orgasm.
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy, after a baby and menopause also affect sexual activity. The estrogen levels fall post menopause and change the genital tissues along with the sexual responsiveness. It is believed that a decrease in estrogen levels leads to a decrease in the blood flow of the pelvic region thus leading to more time for an orgasm.
- Anxiety or depression which has not been treated can lead to sexual dysfunction. A history of sexual abuse or stress that has been present for a long time also leads to dysfunction.
A conflict with the partner in the relationship or about sex can also decrease sexual responsiveness.
- Openly communicating with your partner about your likes and dislikes makes a great difference
- Regular exercising gives a boost to the stamina and elevates the mood thus increasing romantic feelings. Use of alcohol should be decreased
- Taking help from a therapist in case of problems with sex and relationships
- Use of device and lubricants can help in arousal
- PRP is a modern technique used to improve sensitivity
- It helps in muscle toning leading to better sexual functions
- It helps in improving bladder control
- It is a non-invasive, innovative procedure that uses radiofrequency energy to make the vaginal tissues firm and tight.
- It works by making use of radiofrequency waves to heat the internal and external tissues of the vulvovaginal area gently in order to stimulate the production of collagen.