By Dr. Rachna Kucheria, General Physician
If you have a runny nose and your entire body aches for no rhyme or reason, chances are, you have the common cold. Viral infection in the sinuses, upper airways, nose and throat are the main causes of common colds.
While there is no cure, or permanent solution, for the common cold, there are some ways you can manage the symptoms and make your life a little bit better.
Here are some ways to deal with a runny nose:
1. Saline Nasal Sprays: Sprays can clear up your stuffy or runny nose.
2. Oral Decongestants: They work the same way as sprays, except their effects last longer.
3. Oral Antihistamine: A runny nose can be caused by an allergy as well, and in such cases, antihistamines can help.
4. Stay Well Hydrated: Drink plenty of fluids. For example, chicken soup can make you feel better.
5. Reduce Phlegm: To reduce phlegm, you can use a dehumidifier.
If your body aches, even when you are just lying down, here are some medicines you can take:
1. Aspirin: It is an analgesic, or medication that reduces pain.
2. Acetaminophen: It is an effective pain medication.
3. Ibuprofen: Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug.