By Dr. Soonrita Taneja, Ayurveda
High cholesterol has become a very common phrase nowadays. With excessive consumption of fast foods and sugar, lifestyle disorders such as diabetes and high cholesterol have become very common. In order to know what high cholesterol is, you should first know about cholesterol.
Cholesterol is a type of fat present in the body which is needed for regulating hormones in the body. It also plays an important role in Vitamin D production. Though you get cholesterol from food, the body has its own supply of cholesterol as well. Excessive cholesterol in the body can lead to cholesterol build up in your arteries, resulting in blood circulation problems. The arteries tend to narrow down, not allowing the blood to flow properly. High cholesterol levels are linked to heart problems and strokes.
Ayurveda is a holistic system of medicine, the treatments of which are based on natural ingredients. It is very effective and free from side effects, unlike conventional methods of treatment. Ayurvedic remedies for high cholesterol levels in the body aim to bring down the cholesterol level and improve your overall wellbeing.
The Ayurvedic tips to lower cholesterol levels are:
- Eat healthy: Diet plays an important role in maintaining healthy cholesterol levels, so eating healthy is of paramount importance. Include plenty of vegetables and fruits in your diet to get the required amount of Vitamins and minerals in order to keep your body healthy. Avoid refined grains as they spike your blood sugar levels. Instead opt for whole grains such as brown rice.
- Eat healthy fats: Eat healthy fats such as unsaturated fats present in foods such as almonds and olive oil. Keep saturated and trans-fats at bay as they increase cholesterol levels in the body.
- Exercise regularly: Regular exercise keeps your weight levels optimal and also brings down your cholesterol levels. Simple cardiovascular exercises such as running and swimming can be done on a regular basis.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking causes your blood vessels to constrict, thus hampering the flow of blood. In addition to accumulation of plaque, this can further hamper blood flow.
- Maintain optimal weight levels: Following healthy eating habits along with regular exercise will allow you to maintain optimal weight levels. So if your weight is on the higher side, then re-evaluate your eating habits and make the necessary changes.