By - Dr. Ravindra Borade,Sexology
Erectile dysfunction or ED is a legitimate disorder that affects millions of men around the globe. However, speaking about it is still considered taboo, which has given rise to several misconceptions regarding the same. If you or anyone you know suffers from the condition, you need to separate the facts from the baseless myths.
Here is a look at 5 myths regarding erectile dysfunction that you should never believe in.
- Inability to achieve erection is known as erectile dysfunction: There is a misconception that erectile dysfunction mainly deals with those people who are unable to achieve erection. However, the disorder also includes the inability to maintain a steady erection for the duration of sex. Moreover, if erection is achieved, but it is not hard enough for penetration, also falls under ED.
- Erectile dysfunction only affects older men: While it is true that the risks tied to ED increases with age, it does not mean that younger men do not suffer from the same disorder. According to a recent study, around 15 percent men aged between 20 and 39 faced issues achieving or maintaining an erection during sex. Therefore, ED may affect younger men just as easily as it does for older guys.
- Failure to achieve erection once means you suffer from ED: When a guy fails to achieve an erection during one sexual encounter, he usually feels that he suffers from erectile dysfunction. However, this is not always the case. The quality of the erection may vary from one day to the next. For instance, consuming excess alcohol or taking too much stress may result in failure to achieve an erection. However, if such a condition persists for several months, it may be indicative of ED.
- ED indicates a problem in the penis: Most people feel that ED is indicative of an issue with one’s penis. However, erectile dysfunction may be caused as a result of underlying health problems. Conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and damage to blood vessels may lead to the erectile dysfunction. Sometimes, erection disorder can also be caused due to diabetes.
- Cigarette smoking does not affect the quality of erections: Cigarettes are often considered to be one of the most harmful vices among humans. It leads to several complications in health, but does not benefit the body in any way. Smokers often feel that their ED does not have any connection with cigarette smoking. However, the habit is known to compress the blood vessels, which in turn impedes the flow of blood into the penis.