By Dr. Deepti Gupta (Ayurvedacharya), Ayurveda
As we get older, it becomes a challenging task to keep your weight under control. Obesity has become a very common factor in adults and as well as youths. Although we tend to ignore the weight gain, it is important to keep your weight under control to avoid diseases. The ancient medication system of India- Ayurveda- helps to lose the stubborn fat in our body. The basic principle of Ayurveda says that there should be a perfect control between the soul and the mind. When we are mindful or full of sense, we are more likely to take control of our weight. The main cause of obesity are unhealthy habits of eating and sleeping, lack of physical exercise, family history, smoking, drinking, and high intake of foods that are rich in calorie and so on.
What is Panchakarma?
Panchakarma is a phenomenon which involves 5 ways to balance the doshas (sins) in your body and rejuvenate it. Breaking down the word, Pancha means five and karma means some kind of treatment or action to be taken. Panchakarma cleans your tissues efficiently while removing all the toxins and takes care of the stress and diseases that are deep-rooted inside your body. It removes all the waste materials throughout your organs like sweat glands, bladder, lung, intestines and stomach. Panchakarma is very important and crucial part of Ayurveda as it helps to get the perfect balanced state of body, mind and soul through the process of detoxification and rejuvenation, fulfilling the purpose of Ayurveda. Panchakarma occurs with methods like oil baths, massages and so on. It is a very calm and soothing experience.
Procedure of Panchakarma
There are two procedures that need to be taken care of before Panchakarma therapy.
- Oleation: It is the process where you apply oil to your body. Applying oils of various ingredients and formulas to your body helps to carry all the medicinal properties throughout your body.
- Fomentation: Oleation makes the toxins loosen up in your body and fomentation sweats it out. So, it is a cleansing process.
The five types of Panchakarma therapies that can be helpful are:
1. Vamana: This is the vomiting process. After the therapy and medication, you will vomit out all the toxins present in your body.
2. Virechana: This is the excretion process. This clears the toxins in your bowels.
3. Nasya: This clears your head region with light massage and fomentation.
4. Basti: It is a unique ayurvedic process which involves administrating substances that are medicated such as milk, ghee, oil or herbal decoction inside your rectum to cleanse the toxins.
5. Raktamoskshana: This clears your bloodstream. It cures the diseases that are caused by impure blood.