By Dr. Himanshu Singhal, Dermatology
Scabies is a contagious disease that is characterized by rashes and itching. In this disease, a mite called Sarcoptes scabiei that breeds under the skin.The mites lays eggs under the skin and this causes the skin to itch.
The various symptoms of scabies are –
1. Apply anti-scabetic creams.
2. Commonly affected sites are- finger-webs, wrist, abdomen, genitals in treatment section,
3. You may experience intense itching during night.
4. Presence of burrows on your skin.
The symptoms of scabies tend to develop within a few days of the exposure. In some cases, the symptoms may appear after six weeks.
The mite burrows in the skin and lays eggs. Once the eggs hatch, the larvae mature and spread to other parts of your body. The itching that you experience is a result of the allergic reaction of the body to the mites and their eggs. Usually the infestation spreads from touch, sharing clothes or bedding.
Scabies may cause complications such as impetigo. Impetigo is an infection of the skin caused by staph bacteria.
Remedies for Scabies-
The various remedies for scabies are –
- Apply Soothing Solution: Applying calamine lotion can help in relieving the itch and the pain.
- Cool Your Skin: Soak a washcloth in cold water and then place it on the affected area to soothe the skin.
- Antihistamines: Antihistamines help in relieving various allergic reactions which are caused by scabies.