By Dr. Pahun, Sexology
Sexual disorders are issues or complications which hamper your sex life. This can have unintended consequences such as depression and separation. Sexual disorders may be either physical or psychological; at present, there are treatments available for most sexual disorders.
Sexual disorders interfere with certain parts or the whole of the sexual response cycle (which consists of excitement, orgasm, plateau and resolution). This means that you will not be able to achieve satisfaction and contentment by engaging in a sexual activity.
The types of sexual disorders are-
- Disorders related to orgasm: These disorders are related to the inability to orgasm or climax.
- Desire disorders: Lack of desire to engage in sexual intercourse
- Arousal disorders: If afflicted with these disorders, you will find it very difficult to be aroused during a sexual activity.
- Pain-related issues: These are disorders in which you experience pain during sexual intercourse.
The symptoms of sexual disorders are-
- You may be unable to orgasm
- Tight muscles in the vagina, thus hampering sex
- Dry vaginal tissues in the vagina leading to pain during sex
- Inability to maintain or achieve an erection
- Premature ejaculation
There are various treatments which are available to rectify sexual disorders. They are-
- Sex Therapy: You may consult a sex therapist who can provide counselling on the psychological aspects of sex. They can help you resolve those psychological factors which can act as a deterrent.
- Hormone Therapy: Women can undergo hormone therapy if the cause of sexual disorders is an imbalance in the hormones.
- Mechanical Devices: Various devices such as penile implants and vacuum devices can help overcome sexual disorders.